☀ About ☁

Frenetic Rambles & Idle Reflections. Nothing too Directed, Really.


Friday, November 05, 2010

It has been an incredibly gorgeous week. A week of no jackets and sunshine. Also a week of night walks and talks, conveyor-belt sushi dinners with soul sisters and curry dinners with co-workers, lots and lots and lots of thinking.

I think when you're an other-oriented person, you sometimes sacrifice your own integrity. Not because you're worried about what other people think, but because you devote yourself to their integrity, instead.

I am percolating in many ways. Creatively, yes. Also I am trying to figure out the self-care puzzle. What to do to ground myself. Who to talk to. How to adequately process.

I just read a piece about activism as self-harm, a part of a pattern of self-harm. I am coming to terms with my own relationship to self-harm and the way that my relationship to work, to social justice, to social service, fit into that. I have never cut my body with sharps, have never been addicted to an illegal substance, and that means I get to say I'm not self-harming. And it's a big lie, if you reach back into many of my other behavioral patterns. Self-harm could be the name of this game.

Social service is in many ways an exercise in erasing the self. I make that statement and I immediately want to have 47 arguments with myself, but I am also going to let it sit there for a second, because I think in certain ways it's true. You're not there for you, you're there for the population you're serving. You're there to have a net positive effect on them. Self-effacement, self-erasure, this is part of why self-care is so critical to those of us working in this field. And for those of us for whom it is part of a self-harm pattern, well...I don't know what to do with that yet. Percolating.

I'm also percolating about disclosure and trust, boundaries and professionalism. Teetering on the terrifying edge of the time when I decide it is necessary to disclose my mental health status to my coworkers, who are also becoming friends. As Zoe pointed out, it's illegal for them to fire me for this, so what am I worried about really? She also pointed out that I'm going to have to deal with this question, internally if not externally, in every job I have for the rest of my life. So get used to it. I'm worried that I'll be treated as erratic and incapable. That I will be constantly watched. That I will be mistrusted. I have deep trust in my coworkers, but I have learned from life experience that even the best people and the closest to you don't necessarily know how to handle mental illness. But I think they need to know. And if they're my friends, I want them to, anyway. It's not something I like to keep from people I'm close with for all that long.

Today had the quality of a sapling. I drank a lot of coffee. Too much. I wandered around SODO trying to get fingerprinted. SODO is weird because it's like postindustrial wasteland Buffalo, except the industry is current. There is the constant, noisy hum of machine and traffic. It felt good to walk a winding gravel path over train tracks.

3 comments:

  1. hi dear one. i do not think that is is necessary for work done in the service of others to preclude work done in the service of oneself. not in a selfish-oriented capitalist explanation way. more in a non-dualist transformative-horizontal-organizing way as opposed to manichaean hierachical-advocacy-activism-help way.

    i think manifestations of behavior in service of others/the movement can certainly be self-destructive, but again, it is difficult for me to speak of these things within this framework. there are things we do that are self-destructive that we have been taught to do, taught to believe and behave. and there are ways in which oppressed peoples have dreamt of in the margins of how to organize society and relations and organizing that build alternative frameworks for understanding how we can help ourselves and others and be kind and compassionate to ourselves and others, and these ways are not perfect and not fully realized, but they do not premise pain and self-destruction in their execution.

    much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need you in my ear, my life, in my pocket, at orion, reminding me of everything i have read and thought and felt until this year and this moment when all that wisdom has flown out the window. i'm a jumble, and i am falling down every second. but at least i can spend 24/7 pushing my growing edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 <3 <3 i didn't see this til now because i didn't subscribe and i tried to figure out how to get back to your blog and i didn't figure it out until today. i am lucky enough to have a wonderful (two wonderful) roommates to discuss all these painful things with and try to figure out how to transform that into something good and sustainable and beautiful and sometimes we succeed and sometimes we just get really stressed and eat lots of cheese and buy pie. we should talk on the phone some time. i love you and hope that you take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete